Tuesday, February 9, 2010

If I'm using Glidden paint in eggshell, what are the differences in Base 1, Base 2, Base 3?

The Bases are the pigments in the paint to accept different depths of colors.





A pale yellow would use base 1


a mid range yellow base 2


a deep brugandy base 3





(Just bought some Glidden that's what the guy told me)





Eggshell is the sheen it's 1 step over flat.





Flat


eggshell


satin


semi gloss


high gloss





Eggshell is the most forgiving for not so perfect walls with a bare hint of sheen.





The sheen is the reflective value.If I'm using Glidden paint in eggshell, what are the differences in Base 1, Base 2, Base 3?
I picked up a quart of Glidden to do a bathroom ceiling. Since the ceiling was white, and no color change was required, I just grabbed a quart, paid for it, and left the store. When I started to spread the paint it acted like there was no pigment in it. Checked the can, sure enough, Base 3. There is barely any white pigment in the deeper bases. I spread the rest of the material so the preservative properties of the paint would still be effective. Another coat, this time with Ultra White, did the trick. Lesson - make sure you have the right base for the color you've chosen!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the explanation. So - if I'm looking for white satin paint, would it be the best to choose Base 1?

    ReplyDelete